Sunday, November 7, 2010

Getting Old and Enjoying It

Yesterday was Gary's birthday. I went and did the things that he wanted to do, because that is what you do when you love someone. We went to the BYU game which was good because we had really good seats and they won, but not a good game because they killed UNLV. How entertaining can a game be when it ends 55-7, really?

Then we went to Outback. One of our all-time favorite restaurants. And bought groceries on the way home. Then, of course, birthday cake with the family. Kind of a nice, get absolutely nothing done day!!!!
But....I feel like I need to add a few thoughts for Gary since he did our Anniversary Post. I also need to allow Trevor the opportunity to know that I do have a soft side, because apparently he thinks that I am as hard as a rock. I am going to add a couple of songs to our playlist, because if I hear them I still get choked up. Seven years ago we made the decision to take a position as Assistant Manager. Gary came down to Utah while I stayed in Idaho so the kids could finish the school year and I could have McKenzie with doctors that I was familiar with. Now looking back on it, I realize how much we grew and appreciated each other in that time. But I truly felt that it was our love and prayers for each other that helped to keep us strong. Each time Gary got in the car to come home or drive back to Utah I prayed for his protection. I felt that we had angels around us helping our family, because I'm sure I wouldn't have had the energy to do it all alone.
I also ponder a lot about how many future Anniversaries and Birthdays we will have together. Maybe I look at things too realistically, but I have learned to appreciate them more since Gary's heart attack. I look forward to going on a mission as a couple or being the old people walking together and then sometimes I wonder if we are going to make it to that point. I remember thinking, "Heavenly Father, Please don't take him yet. I can't do this on my own." I don't know if I will ever feel like I can do it on my own, but I always have the peace in knowing that Jesus is by my side to bear my burdens and make them light. For now, life is good and it is ok to get old, because it beats the alternative. One day we will be ready to meet our Maker, but for now we will continue to prepare for that day. Maybe the Second Coming will come first. That would be awesome!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Lissie,
    I made our blog private so if you want an invite email me at harris1614@msn.com, leave your email and I'll send an invite. : )

    ReplyDelete